Sunday, October 6, 2019

Niue

A morning at sea,rather rough,did nothing for Elizabeth's wellbeing,but she managed to eat some lunch and was very pleased to arrive in Niue and for the ship to dock in the lee of the island.
 Niue is only 101 sq miles, a raised coral atoll,or just a rock in the Pacific,2400 Kms from New Zealand.
The weather was brighter and warm.Once on shore we seperated,Elizabeth for a cultural tour and me for a trip to the Matapa chasm.In fact the advance publicity was incorrect,and I ended up doing the cultural tour plus the Matapa chasm and E the same tour minus the chasm ! Oh well,we both enjoyed ourselves but could easily have stayed together.
The Chasm proved to be an enchanting spot,a long inlet reached by an easy walk.



The water was a little cool ,being so shaded, but there were fish galore.From there we proceeded on an unusual tour to a new supermarket.
All goods imported from New Zealand,arrive once per month in a container by boat.Then to a small but smart museum,past the old primary school,now used as offices ,past the model of a coconut crab

and down to the new hospital(really an out patient and daycase block)and back to the landing place.Where there were some beautiful outrigger canoes,fashioned from a single log,but very well done.


The economy of Niue is,as would suspect,not good.The population is currently only 1618,down from 4667 in 1950,and about 90-95% of Niueean speakers currently live in New Zealand.All Niue eans have a NZ passport as well as a local one,and it is only 3 hours by plane to Aukland,flights twice per week.But exports last year were only US$ 201,000 whilst yearly GDP is US$15.7m.So the major source of income is an annual grant from NZ that was US$10.1m in 2013/4.So the annual per capita income is US$ 5800,most of the employment is in the civil service ,but this has been cut back in recent years to clear the island of debt,which happy position they are managing to maintain.The exports are stamps,coconut crabs,some processed tuna and a few agricultural products such as coconuts.
Back to the boat for a splendid barbacue

4 comments:

  1. Travbond Audit page is an unquestionable requirement perused to get why and how is it that an organization so youthful has set itself on the main position among every veteran player in the field of the travel industry. The page depicts how Travbond Ventures has entered all features of the travel industry , all fields of the travel industry and aced the craft of consumer loyalty with the assistance of a devoted staff that work tirelessly 24x7.
    travbond reviews
    travbond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best infomarmation in your blog.. And This my services vaction rentals

    ReplyDelete
  3. SKT Cleaning services Dubai provides the most reliable and affordable Villa Cleaning
    in Dubai U.A.E. Our Villa unit includes almost all types of Cleaning Services in Dubai i.e Commercial and Residential Cleaning Services.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
    you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete