Sunday, June 16, 2019

An Ohio Welcome

I went to bed at 19.30 last night feeling pretty poorly,and had a lovely nights sleep.on awakening,this,morning,I decided that a day in bed would be excellent,and rolled over to start to make the thought a reality.Elizabeth had other ideas,she was up and bustling about,whilst I fought with my body,my conscience and my determination.The weather forecast was awful and a glance out of the window confirmed the worst-plenty more rain and a 100 mile plus day in prospect-Ah for that bed.
 Rain gear all ready,I slowly packed my bags and equally slowly began to realise that I did feel quite a lot better.Breakfast eaten whilst watching the rain come down,not quite my normal appetite.Out to the bikes,Tom introduced some friends who had come to ride with him for the day.The rain had stopped,but it was still very overcast,giving the impression that it was still night.Off we set,rear lights all flashing,and front lights on as well. Two turns,10 seconds and the rain came down.Not heavily but persistent and wetting,pushing up spray from all the rear wheels,and turning the backs of folks jackets to a brown mess.The band aid on my right thumb,from the ambulance run in,dissolved and slipped off.but it was not all doom and gloom,we were making good time,the sky was slowly lightening and the road surface was good.We passed into Ohio and only Tom saw the sign and got us to ride back for the photo.

After an hour the rain had stopped and we started to really enjoy ourselves.
43 miles to the first stop and most of those miles were on lovely back roads, mainly flat,with a following wind most of the time.Remember it is Sunday and soon we were immersed in Amish buggies taking them to church.A friendly wave from all of them,all dressed in their sunday best,proper looking young ladies who gave us a demure wave,young lads,dressed in knee length shorts and straw boaters,the men in white shirts and black trousers.High stepping horses and beautiful countryside.Delighted that I had got on my bike,I stopped to chat to one older Amish gentleman,"How do you like this road" magnificent I replied "My favourite" he said.I complimented him on his horse,he nodded graciously and we talked about the cycle journey,but I felt it would be rude to ask to take his photo,so you will only have my words,but I would have liked to linger longer.
past the Gettysburg cemetery,a photo but I had forgotten to charge my phone so there would not be many more!
And into the first stop,to blaring music,tumultuous applause ,a box of chocolates and a cup of coffe.Tom and Gregs families, friends,colleagues and some of Tom's clients had set up shop at the refreshment stop to welcome us all to Ohio
Mentally and physically fortified and still dry,we set of again for the 37 miles to the next stop,but when at 12.00 we passed a Subway,we decided to stop and have some lunch.This is always a tricky decision,because, after food I wish to go faster and Elizabeth wishes to go a little slower to aid her digestion.But with the longer term in mind stop we did,and slow we did!but not for long-a half hour is all E needs.
Throughout the day we have passed swollen rivers ,all bursting their banks,flooded fields,often with drowning maize plants,streams gushing along,where there nomally would not be a stream,all reminders of how much farmers depend upon the weather.There is more rain forecast and numerous flood warnings issued.One cannot help but feel sorry for the farming folk here.Incidentally,everyone we meet tells us how good the Amish farms are.Always tidy and productive,perhaps working with creation is better than only having an eye to profit !Anway with the wind still behind us and a chat with Tom,along the way,we completed the fourth 100+ mile day at an average speed of 25.2 Kph,and how pleased was I that I got out of bed.A truly memorable day.Many Thanks to all the folk at the stop,as Greg says "It was a blast"

No comments:

Post a Comment