Friday, June 28, 2019

The End

Late start today,breakfast at 06.30,a fairly jovial mood at breakfast.We set off at 08.05 for the 16.3 mile cycle to the beach.Lovely morning but plenty of traffic around.At one point all the GPS devices said to turn right,but when we did so we were all off course!! Anyway took a shortcut back to the route,and then headed down a no entry road and made it to a community bike path.This lead us to Dunkin Donuts,where we regrouped and were told that there would have to be a diversion as the beach we were headed to had been closed to erect a film set.So the 16.1 miles became 18.2.
 Arrived at the beach and walked down to the sea,plenty of photos,and eventually we drove back to the hotel for a large lunch and then said our goodbyes.
The Gang

Sohrab and a daughter

Greg and Margaret

LInda and Bill



Peyton celebrating




Jeff and Cathy
So I ended we a mileage of 3445.4 miles and climbed 107,073 ft,Elizabeth cycled a sensational 3172.7 miles.
Thank you for reading anybody who still would like to donate can still do so at
www.justgiving.com/fundraising/howard-reece-smith1

We fly out of here tomorrow at 19.15,a great memory,a load of new friends,but looking forward to our normal diet and normal hours.
Au Revoir

5 comments:

  1. Howard,
    Thank you for keeping your blog. There's a fine line between being supportive and stalking. I hope I didn't cross the line.
    RSRO (ride safely, ride often)
    Jim XC09, XC17, ES11

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many congratulations to you both and all the group who made it across the States, great achievement. Ian and Penny ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. MANY MANY MORE THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU AND TO THE ALL GROUP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly, I'm a late-comer to this site. But thank you for a wonderful account of your trip. Loved every minute of reading ... and every mile you folks rode. I made my first x-country (USA) trip back in 1993 ... and my second one (leading a group of 18 other riders) in 1999. My only rides these days are "local" ... but hell, I'm now 83, so I'm just glad I can still get on my bike. Again, enjoyed reading this wonderful account of your adventure. All best wishes. Al Galletly, Ridgefield, CT

    ReplyDelete