Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Rollers

I like climbing hills on my bike,but I do not like rollers,and today was a day of rollers-and there are more to come ,so I am told.
Anyway,my Bolt was definately not working,despite being fully charged ,just would not switch on,but Paula kindly lent us her Garmin,so we were both fully equipped as we set off. 20°C on departure with some cloud cover and a touch of cooling wind.After a bumpy 3 miles we turned onto a lovely road,quiet,great surface and verdant scenery.The surroundins reminded me of cycling in France,the fields were smaller,plenty of maize coming up,and there were a good sprinkling of trees and bushes.
We came across these two characters guarding somebodies house,although they looked in need 
of a good feed.Then to make the comparison with France even more realistic,there was a ruined stone house and just a little further along the road my bete noir in France
Bindweed !!!!!
Well we got to the first rest stop quite quickly,but by now the temperature was rising fast and all the clouds had blown away,maximum temperature whilst we were on the road was 38°C with an average of 29°C-so hot.The wind was never in our faces but rarely behind us ,its main value was air movement that was most welcome.You can see from the photo below that we were not the only ones to think it hot.
The second stop seemed to take a time to arrive but had the advantage that it was over the road from a small store and Elizabeth,having visited their loo came back with two ice lollies.Heavenly.Now whilst I don't like rollers they also have the disadvantage that they slow Elizabeth up(She is not the quickest up hills)and thus I become a little frustrated at the pace we are making/or not.Still considering she really does not like 'HOT' or hills she did very well.We arrived at a famous pie shop after 68 miles,just in time for some lunch.A cheeseburger for E and a BBQ beef sandwich for me and another ice cream.Well deserved I thought.And on we rolled to Topeka,straight in the Hotel pool for me and it was cold 23°C and the jacuzzi was being repaired.Anyway well past half way now-1734 miles completed and 54,005 feet climbed.A final picture of some of the lovely countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment