Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Texas

Texas deserves to be the title today as we only spend one night in the state.It is the second largest state by both population and area,the name comes from the word TAYSHA which means friends in the language of the Caddo people.Anyway more importantly we had orange juice for breakfast today,as well as other stuff.Set off at 07.00 with a tail wind that blew steadily all day,and made the 96 miles fly by.
 The terrain was pretty featureless all day ,just pretty flat grasslands,with ,for the most part,just the occasional cow.After 5' miles we crossed the state line and took a photo.

Judi and Linda in the photo.At the last refreshment stop Dana asked me why I had a piece of cloth hanging from my mouth.The answer is simple,my lower lip was sunburnt in the desert on the fourth cycling day,and no amount of factor 50 suncream will protect it.If anything it makes it worse as the cream gets into the cracks and hurts....a lot.So I protect my lip with a flap of cloth and it is healing steadily.Whilst on the subject of aches and pains,I do not think one can cycle these sort of distances withot some aches and pains.Sore tail ends are pretty inevitable and only' how sore ' matters.In my case it is sore but no skin loss and not requiring any treatment,which is excellent.Not so my right great toe,which became painful right at the start,I think because ones feet swell with both the flight and the heat.The swollen toe then rubs and it is difficult to get over it whilst continuing to cycle.But it means that I have an extra highlight to my day-when I take my shoes off!
 Eventually we reached the outskirts of Dalhart to find immense numbers of cows all clustered together in 'feeding stations'.The american beef farmers like to feed the cows on sorghum grain for their last month before slaughter to make the meat more tender.But to the passer by the stations look like concentration camps for cows.


Poor cows.There are an awful lot of them in a small area.Few miles past and we arrived at the hotel.The entrance of which is marked with two horses.
Escaped to the jacuzzi to soak the weary body,but an average speed today of 27.4 Kph is good for the morale!

No comments:

Post a Comment